Today’s Guest Author is the GRAY FAMILY! There is something from each one, including little Peter who first visited Honduras at 6 weeks old. Read more about this beautiful family at the end of this FUN post!
“When thinking about ten things we love about ROH, we focused on 10 places at the school we love to hang out. When the kids were asked about what places they love at IVA, they all gave different responses…here’s our list:
1. Front gate: Every morning the students are greeted by our “Wachis” and welcomed to school.
2. Comedor (Bethany, Canaan and Joel): Students gather to eat, study, fellowship, worship, and more. Tables are used by the cooks to sort and clean piles of beans. Teachers meet during down times to do devotionals together. Teams of volunteers take a break in the shade to hydrate or get to know the students.
3. Kitchen (Canaan, Lillianna and Lucy): Mmmmm….lots of good cooking takes place here! The cooks sing praises as they prepare nutritious meals to make sure the students’ bellies are full to begin their studies each day. Our personal favorites? DONUTS, beans and fritas, and baleadas.
4. Digging in the dirt (Peter): What else would be a 3-year-old boy’s favorite?!?!
5. Pulperia (Lucy): Need a snack? We come here to get a cold coke and a bag of chips!
6. Soccer field (Canaan): Ready for an intense, pick-up game of fútbol? Be ready to get dirty!
7. New pavilion: Even though we have yet to see it finished, we are already super-excited for this addition to IVA. What a great space to hold events (graduation, basketball games, spelling bees…) and be out of the sun and rain!
8. The Truck (or the bus!): The day starts early here (but not as early as the cooks!), and brings students from the outskirts of the Puerto Lempira area to school each day. It takes the IVA name to the city, takes a team to a last minute soccer game, and transports North American volunteers to the school.
9. Kioskos (Canaan): Yet another place to seek shade (that tropical sun can really take it out of you!) and gather with students. Canaan’s favorite place to hang out with his friends.
10. Math classroom (Kevin): This would have to be Kevin’s personal favorite, right?!?!